Today we were able to assemble our first prototype and everything went together well after some modifications last night. We also finished cutting all the parts for the two end structures.
Chuck 1 (Travis) was awesome on the router table today and got all cut edges of the boards rounded over so there are no sharp corners. Chuck 2 (Gutzwiller), and I were able to layout and drill all the legs, these holes will be used for connecting the ends to the rails of the bed. Will, Cole, Ben and Peter were like bees creating a buzz as they sanded boards with reckless abandon. Pat and Chuck 1 were able to purchase, position, and attach webbing and slats for bed support for 5 of the beds, just a note, stay out of the way of Pat with a hammer staple, she knows how to swing that thing). Finally we were able to use the jigs (patterns) that we created yesterday to start putting end rails together, the jigs worked well and we got 4 more sets of ends put together. Lynn also knocked it out of the park with some chicken BBQ that was hard to not eat earlier in the day.
Tomorrow we will continue with sanding and assembly, we will have some more cutting and fitting for the bed slats, and we will start working on the cutting and fitting of the safety rails. There is more drilling and sanding work needed on the rails to get them ready for final assembly. Hopefully we can get most of this done so that we can clean up all the dust and start staining on Thursday (I think that the Early American is the color of choice at this point).. Thanks again for all the support and great responses to what we are doing.
Special thanks to:
Chuck 1, Chuck 2, Peter DeVries, Pat VanHeyst, Lynn Gutzwiller, Cole Hysong, Will Gutzwiller, Ben Gutzwiller,